Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 2-- Overeating.

Did you know that overeating causes the body to go into overdrive, making you spend a large amount of energy attempting to digest all of the food? As you are digesting the food your body just slows down and you lose all energy as your body goes crazy making insulin, leaving you lethargic. You tend to lay down and take a nap after this large meal. But, there is a bigger problem with overeating. Not only does it cause a problem right then and there for you, it also causes problems hours later because you eat more due to your tiredness, hoping that you will be able to gain some energy from the food. It's a vicious cycle and I know it's one that I have found myself getting stuck in time and time again, especially when I am extremely stressed out about something.

I've found that I can help avoid overeating when I plan out my meals, allowing for 3 meals and 3 snacks. This way I know that I get to eat every 2-3 hours, so I find it easier to stop because I know that I get to eat rather soon anyway.

I also try not to keep too much finger food around me. If I have a bag of chips, I'll sit there and snack on the chips. The same goes for cookies, cereal, and candy. I just cannot keep that stuff around me because I will sit there until I eat all of it, no matter how guilty I feel. Instead I try to keep food that I actually have to prepare or at least stuff like yogurt, which I don't crave to just sit and snack on in front of the television.

Eating slower also helps me to avoid overeating as much. I am the slowest eater out of anyone that I know. Some may say it's because I talk so much, but that's besides the point. The slower I eat the more satisfied I feel from the meal. When I don't eat slowly I end up eating an entire meal and then I still crave more because I feel like the food disappeared far too quickly. I try to set down my utensil between each bite so that I guarantee that I take a slower pace while eating.

Now that I have reviewed my techniques, I'm going to try to put them to use today to eat a healthy amount.

Breakfast: Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch
Lunch: Ham Sandwich, Watermelon, Grapes, Cheeto Puffs
Snack: Trail Mix from camp (oatmeal bites, pretzels, m&ms, and chocolate frosted mini wheats)
Dinner: 5 Chicken Nuggest, BBQ sauce, Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Exercise: 30 day shred.

I really need to invest in some weights. I would rather not simply because I know that I have weights at home, but it sucks to be doing the 30 day shred without them. I feel like I'm not even getting a workout. Tomorrow I am going to try to use resistance bands, but if that doesn't seem to work then I'm just going to go out and buy some 5 pound weights or something. I really want to get some results from the shred, but I won't get them unless I am really working my tail off.

No comments:

Post a Comment